May 23, 2008

The cost of everything!

Just about every blog that I have been on lately has had some reference to the astronomical prices of gases and how it is effecting their families. I really don't like to get political in general and though we have had to make some changes along with everyone else, I thought I would bring to light a story that I heard from my neighbor.

Now we all know oil prices are high as well. Most of our neighbors all use different oil companies and are on scheduled deliveries. Luckily most of us also have wood burning stoves or fireplaces so we don't tend to need fills up as often as others do. I am very fortunate that we have had the same oil company since I was little so we have a wonderful family rapport with them. They are great about calling when the prices drop down and asking if we would like a top off at the lower rate or if we are scheduled for a delivery they will call and say hey the price just shot up if you can wait until next week it may drop down. Unfortunately my neighbors company seems to not be as family friendly. She is on a budget plan, so that she pays a monthly price for the entire year so that she doesn't get whacked with a huge bill come January. I think anyone could understand that this years budgets were going to be off as no one really thought it was going to stay cold for so long or that the prices would sky rocket to over $135 a barrel. So when she got her last oil delivery of the season earlier this week (we are all hoping that these tanks will get us through the summer) she was shocked that not only did she have a $900 balance, but their had been a $25 delivery surcharge added to the last three deliveries because of the cost of gas. I nearly fell over ~ are they expecting us to go pick up our oil? How in the world can a company that has always delivered a product - there is no other way to get all of a sudden without any warning to their costumers be allowed to charge extra? That is our wonderful government for you! If that had been someone on a very restricted income - social security for instance- that $25 surcharge could mean the difference between oil or medicine or food. I just don't get it.

I have also noticed that the prices of just about EVERYTHING is increasing. At first most people didn't notice, but even the comfortable are starting to notice a huge difference. We depend way to much on oil-based products to get us what we need. How about your family - what types of buckle-tightening have you had to put into place?

3 comments:

Mysti said...

Changes we have made:

We cut our expenses back considerably so that we could budget gas in for our once-a-week commute to Colorado Springs (from N. Denver).

We cut our cable (happy for that one!)Saves us $53 a month.

I have cut my grocery bill back nearly $100! (being vegan helps a lot..)

We walk into town for most everything unless it requires the car for transport.

I cut my energy bill by hanging a clothes line, not using the dishwasher, and unplugging the TV and computer when not in use (they draw some 70% of energy while off)

Um, I reuse and recycle everything possible so that helps with costs.

Every little bit helps I say. :)

When we were driving to the Garden Nursery yesterday, Bear asked how bad does it have to get for people to truly stop driving? Our gas prices are $3.80 (lowest) and $4.39 (highest) for unleaded.

But get this: Bear is a truck driver and notes that the costs are rising because of the fuel prices and puts it into perspective by telling us how much it costs put diesel in every week. Mind you, it's nearly $5 a gallon. Last week, it cost him $600! OK, it costs the company, but you get the idea. A month ago, it averaged around $450. This time last year - roughly $350-375.

Something has got to give! I'm sure it's no better in your neck of the woods. Sigh.

Wendy, over at one of my favorite stops, has a great post this morning about this very issue. www.happilyhome.blogspot.com

Oh, and thanks for coming by my place. *grins*

Unknown said...

What we have done...

We have planted a garden.

We are cutting back on our driving.
We are worried about a long road trip in August.

I am trying to reduce our grocery bill, but where we live it has to be trucked in so I am going to start supporting our local farmers.

We also have started to turn off the power supply to all electronics at night.

Fairyluver said...

We have a garden which will help in the summer and I plan on canning so it will save alittle in the winter too! My hubby also carpools to work. But we do alot less driving, we used to drive the kids around just for fun especially in the summer and winter months...not anymore...

p.s. you can check out my garden on my blogspot...
www.lunamama2.blogspot.com