Dec 9, 2008

Reflections on the Changing Seasons


I have mentioned many times how much we love fall, but I am starting to wonder if it is just the changing of the seasons that we love the most. As each new season comes along there are so many changes and chances for anew.

Though I like this quote -
Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence. Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance. Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence. Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance. - by Yoko Ono

This is my favorite quote about the changing seasons:
Autumn to winter, winter into spring, Spring into summer, summer into fall,-- So rolls the changing year, and so we change; Motion so swift, we know not that we move. ~ from Immutable by Dinal Maria Mulock



As we come to the end of another wonderful Autumn season, I am truly grateful for the bounty we have obtained as a family. The changes that we have made over this past year have been countless. We are more efficient, confident, happier, closer, stronger, kinder, and most of all a more loving family.

Last year on this very date, I was sitting, agonizing over my decision to take KM out of public school. I was petrified, at the prospect of taking on such a monumental task. However I knew, deep within me, that it was the right thing, the only thing, to do that would fix the situation that had been unfolding. Over the next few weeks I was reading everything I could get my eyes on ~ as most of my information I found online. I spent hours upon hours looking at resources and curriculums, finding support groups, asking for guidance from everyone I met and listening to people try to talk me out of it or ask me
"Are you really sure this is what you want to do?"

I have been told by many, that if you had seen me during that time, you never would have known I was struggling with the decision. Apparently on the outside I was sure of myself and I think that was the true feelings shining through. I knew it was the only solution that could fix the things that were going wrong in our home. This is the path we were meant to take.

I know that it is not the path for everyone and there are a multitude of reasons why families can't or choose not to homeschool or unschool, but I wanted to take a second to thank all those wonderful, dedicated parents who have also chosen this path for their children. It can be difficult, it can be challenging, but it is so worth it ~ our children are worth it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here, Here!!! They are absolutely worth it!! Even on those days when we are googling military boarding schools in Germany!! LOL!!!!! :)

Todd said...

So glad it's been worth it for you. It has been for us too.

Unknown said...

Yes our kids are worth every gray hair and every sleepless night. :)