Nov 23, 2008

Turkey Day Prep

We are in full force Turkey Day preparation mode here, as I am sure most everyone else is as well! I have been doing Thanksgiving for nearly 10 years now and I don't really stress too much about it anymore. I have come a long way since that first year where we ordered everything in, to this Thanksgiving when I am planning on making everything from scratch.

Last year was the most nerve racking, as it was the first time that I made the Turkey myself. Since I had taken over the holiday events for the family, Noni had always continued to make "the bird" to take some of the pressure off of me. Then on the first Thanksgiving after she passed away, I was just too overwhelmed and asked DD to do it for me, which she gladly did and it came out perfectly. Last year I took the reigns and did it myself. I had been offered help by many, but I really just wanted to do it. It was not like I had never cooked a Turkey, it is just that it is the centerpiece at Thanksgiving and there really is no room for error when it comes to a holiday that is ALL ABOUT THE FOOD! - I know it is also about being thankful, but really who thinks about being thankful if the Turkey is going up in flames? hmmm

So this year will be a small group at my house for dinner, since MC is going to be having her first go round hosting for her in-laws. I have decided to try and make as much from scratch as I can. I have been practicing and trying different techniques out over the past few weeks and think I have it all pretty well figured out - I do however have some things like gravy and crescent rolls in the fridge just in case any debacles should occur!

I do have some posts in the works, but if it is quiet round here, you will now it won't be for too long!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still not sure what we are making on Thursday. LOL. We are narrowing it down though. Tomorrow we are going grocery shopping. I will be in full prep mode Tuesday. I will be making the pies. We cannot have Thanksgiving in this house without pumpkin and pecan pies. :)

Todd said...

I am so ambilent about this holiday because of the historical facts about the meal shared between the Native Americans and the Whoever it was (Puritans? Mayflower people?). However, I do tend to be comfortable getting together with friends and sharing that. So I guess it's all good. :-)

Fairie Mom said...

I fully understand the issues surrounding the holiday that the Native Americans have as I live very close to said area. I am glad however that they have finally come to an agreement in the town and this was one of the first years in a long time that there were not protesters at the Plymouth Thanksgiving Parade - which was held last weekend.
You can take a look at this site to see what information they have on this dispute - http://www.usathanksgiving.com/.
G

Todd said...

Okay, thanks. Went to the site and read 'the history of...' and noticed no mention about what happened AFTER the NA's ate the food the Pilgrim's gave/shared. Guess that's history nobody feels the need to remind everyone about. Anyway, hope you have a happy holiday. :-)

Fairie Mom said...

I thought you were talking about the specifics that the Wampanoag Tribe members had been having with the representation a few years ago.
If that was the case you might also be interested in taking a look at the Plimoth Plantation site - http://www.plimoth.org/sphider/search.php - which has a LOT of teaching material on the matter from both perspectives.
G

Todd said...

Actually, I don't really know why I worry about it since I'm not NA nor religious. Not really all that interested in history in general. I'm just weird. LOL. Thanks for the link that I'm going to go checkout :-)