Feb 22, 2009

Homeschooling Mom's Version of OCD -

Obsessive Curriculum Disorder!!!

I truly think I need help with this! I know I am not the only one out there! It is often more a case of the grass is greener syndrome when you hear about some great program that is working wonders for someone else's child, but my book shelves are begging for relief and my computer is overflowing with downloads. I am constantly second guessing myself as to what we are covering and how we are covering it. I want to make sure that I have all the bases covered, no matter what may come up. This has led to a constant nagging and obsessive gathering of information. I can't pass up a Freebie of any sort that MAY come in handy someday - even if it is something that I am pretty sure KM will NEVER be interested in. I also have a TON of cute preschooly things for SC - I know she is only 21 mo. but she will be ready to read and write before you know it and I want to make sure I am prepared! Hmmm.... What to do? What to do?

This is a list of my first steps to try to break this wretched condition!

First - I decided to reorganize things so that I could really see what we have! I have weeded through my files I was saving on the main computer, as it was getting VERY difficult to even find something we wanted to do, never mind trying to save some more info in the right spots. I also reorganized the closet shelves where I keep things that we plan to use in the future. I put a LOT of books, mostly on grammar and writing, that I KNOW we will NEVER use on Paperback Swap and they were snatched up in minutes - yeah more credits!!!

Second - I decided to make some sort of list so that I have an idea of what I have for each subject area. I began by writing out all the core subjects that I have accumulated information, texts and other materials on and then I listed electives in the same way. I believe I have everything for middle school completely covered, except for the Teaching Textbooks for Math - which I will purchase after reselling each previous edition.

Third - I WILL CONSCIOUSLY MAKE AN EFFORT TO NOT PURCHASE ANYMORE SCHOOL ITEMS!!! I should have come to this conclusion way before this point, but better late than never!

Fourth - I will not download any free packets, unless we will be using them during this term! With the exception of the weekly downloads from Currclick, because really how can you pass those up!!! Otherwise I will save the sites and get the information when we are ready for it!

Fifth - I will realize that my daughter is doing EXCEPTIONALLY well with what I have been putting together. She really enjoys the programs that we are using and until SHE has a problem or complaint with the things we are using, I need to just let things BE!


How do you handle Homeschool OCD? Please share your tips and tricks, so that maybe I can get this awful condition under control!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes I do. I love to look things up and wonder if they will work. I have a ton on my computer. At times I don't know where to start. I need to weed through my things and see what I have.

I have also decided not to buy anything else unless it will be beneficial to the entire family. We will be purchasing Rosetta Stone for the entire family.

Unknown said...

Hi, my name is Rainbow Rivers ........I am a homeschooling mom curriculum buying junkie! LOL seriously I do not have any tips for you but I can't help myself and the sad part is, we dont get to half of what we have! I thought this would cure if I switched to unschooling, all that did was have me pile the textbooks in a box for a garage sale and now I am going crazy purchasing books of interest to the kids, computer software, hands on things, crafts, and oh my anything! You know my amazon wish list is 40 pages long? Please, I need help!

Lisa said...

LOL! I love your post. I think we have all been here before and have a very hard time fighting this incureable disease! I love your blog, btw, so much fun!