Oct 24, 2010

Some things we have been thinking about lately...

So you might remember the post from just a week or so ago about KM wanting to be more independent and schedule her own week, well she has decided that she doesn't want that responsibility any longer. Personally, I thought she was doing a decent job, but she was feeling a bit overwhelmed by it and really didn't like that she was doing lessons 6 days a week instead of 4. She has asked if we can go back to the previous setup ~ me giving her the weekly list, which is broken up into four days for her ~ but instead of her doing things right off the bat in the morning, she can do them whenever she wants throughout the day. This is TOTALLY fine with me. However she wants to get her lessons done is up to her. She is starting to really understand that she is in charge of her learning.

A few days ago I was asked by a friend what I would do if KM didn't want to do "lessons" anymore and I was a bit taken aback by this one, as I had no idea what I would do and honestly had never thought of it. There have been programs that she has decided that she doesn't want to complete for whatever reason and that is totally fine. However I don't know, for sure, what I would do if she just flat out didn't want to do any of it.

I think that if she really and truly didn't want to do any lesson work, then I would talk to her and see why she felt that way and/or what her plan would be moving forward. As I also mentioned in previous posts, I truly don't feel like you can force anyone to "learn" anything. You might be able to get them to memorize something or test through something, but in order for them to truly absorb, understand and retain it, they have to be invested and interested. I don't think that my feelings on this will ever change.


Having gone to school and having always done work with me over summers and during vacations, it has just always been the norm for her to do academic studies. She really enjoys the programs that we use. She has a huge hand in the decision making process and makes the final picks on what she will be using, as she is the one that has to do it and why would I want to waste money on something that I would have to fight with her to get done. She is even liking the writing workbook that she has been doing - Spectrum Writing, Grade 8 - which is a huge find! She has goals that she has set for herself and now it is my job to help her get to reach those goals. If for some reason she has a change of heart, I will keep an open-mind and work with her in whatever manner she needs me to. 

3 comments:

marcia said...

It IS so true that true learning can only take place when one is interested, when it has meaning for them. Sure you can go through the motions and have a completed lesson, but it doesn't mean one has truly *taken in * that information.

Kids in school know soon enough how much to do to pass that test but the information is not retained.

I also think it takes *time* ..when one decides they will be responsible for their days. It's hard to get used to filling your time on your own when one is used to be told what to do and when. But the rewards are many if one can hang in there.

Freedom to learn is the way to handle freedom :)

happy day!

Fairie Mom said...

I fully agree that it takes time to get used to having the freedom, but I think, in this situation she really needs or wants to be eased into it, which is totally fine by me. I am here to help her get to an independent state, but if that is not what she wants at this time, I am not going to push her into it. She has repeatedly expressed her lack of desire to "grow up" ~ we weren't even allowed to mention she was turning thir"teen" because it freaked her out ~ and I am more than happy to allow her to be a bit reliant on me for direction for as long as she wants me to be here. There are times that I ~at 32~ still wish I had my mom to point me in the right direction.

marcia said...

Each child is different..and all changes do take *time* :)

I often hear people complain though...who say "oh this didn't work for us", etc but in reality they didn't give it the *time* it truly needed.

As in all of life, if your child is HAPPY that is ALL that matters!!

Children do know what they want and need and we have to trust that.


happy day!