Jan 19, 2010

Sometimes ----

-----I wonder if we made the right choice. On those days were I feel like I have repeated myself a gazillion and 1 times, the lessons just seem to take forever, the phone hasn't stopped ringing, the science experiment didn't work, the email just keeps pinging, all the smoke detectors are going off, the Littles are crying, the washer is buzzing and I can't remember the last time I have eaten.

Then I look at my daughter and see how much she has grown, matured and expanded her horizons over the last two years. Things are never perfect. It can be hard, exhausting, seem relentless at times, but those times are generally out numbered by the giggles, the "ah-ha" moments, the museum trips, the walks in the woods, and all the other times that wouldn't exist if I had made any other decision on that day two years ago.

Our family is about as perfect as every other family I know. I try to stay as positive as I can on this little blog of mine, so that on those days of questioning I can take a look and see all that we have accomplished and gained.

Things go wrong, but as with everything else in this world, when a mistake is made we try to learn from it the best that we can and move on. I know that I don't make the right decision every time, but I also know that I make decisions with the best intentions and with what is best for my family at the forefront of my mind.

So despite the assumptions of some of the emails that I have been getting lately - just to clarify - Homeschooling is not easy, I am not a saint, and our world is NOT perfect!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to know that I'm not alone in the hard days and that there is another homeschooling mom who acknowledges the good and the bad. I like to focus on the positive a lot too in many of my posts and I think it gives people the wrong impression sometimes, that homeschooling is super dandy all the time.
Thank you for your refreshing honesty!!!

Fairyluver said...

Your blog is very inspiring and I enjoy reading all that you do with your daughter. I'm sure she's getting more than she ever could have gotten in a ps. Not just educationally but also the special relationship that she gets to share with her cousin's and her parents. I know that's why I started homeschooling...I wanted a close family and that's just something you can't get spending 6hrs in a classroom and an additional 2 hrs doing homework. I do get those days where I wonder am I really doing the right thing for them...and those questions are answered when you get to witness their new skills that they've just mastered at home through your teachings. I don't think there is anything else in the world that could make a mother more proud then to she her child thrive in it's own environment.
Keep it up!!!